Published on 03-Sept-2019 – A-WEB
ECI to host Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB)Approx Read Time: 4 minutes
- The Election Commission of India is scheduled to host the 4th General Assembly of Association of World Election Bodies at Bengaluru on 3rd September 2019.
- India will take over as A-WEB’s Chair for the 2019-21 term.
- Over 50 countries across the globe will join the meeting at Bengaluru from 02nd to 04th September 2019.
- An International Conference on “Initiatives and Challenges of Social Media and Information Technology in Elections” will also be held on 04th September 2019.
What is A-WEB?
- The Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB) is the largest association of Election Management Bodies (EMBs) worldwide.
- A-WEB was established on October 14, 2013, in Song-do, South Korea.
- The permanent secretariat of A- WEB is located at Seoul.
- It’s vision is to foster efficiency and effectiveness in conducting free, fair, transparent and participative elections worldwide.
- Its activities are guided by its mission to identify latest trends, challenges, and developments in democratic electoral management and electoral processes and to facilitate the appropriate exchange of experience and expertise among members with the objective of strengthening electoral democracy worldwide.
- At present A- WEB has 115 EMBs as Members & 20 Regional Associations/Organizations as Associate Members.
- 24 EMBs from Asia, 37 from Africa, 31 from America, 17 from Europe & 6 from Oceania presently are members of A WEB.
India and A- WEB:
- Election Commission of India has been very closely associated with the process of formation of A-WEB since 2011-12.
- ECI has been its Executive Board Member since A-WEB’s inception in October 2013 for two consecutive terms (2013-15 and 2015-17).
- At the last A-WEB General Assembly held in Bucharest on 31st August 2017, Romania took over as Chair and ECI was unanimously elected as Vice-Chair of A-WEB 2017-19.
- India is all set to take over as Chair now for the 2019-21 term.
- ECI will continue to remain on the Executive Board of A-WEB for 2021-23 in its capacity as immediate former Chair of A-WEB.
On the 4th of September, an International Conference on “Initiatives and Challenges of Social Media and Information Technology in Elections” will be held. Eleven countries namely Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia -Herzegovina, Cameroon, Malawi, Mauritius, Palestine, Romania, Russia, Sierra Leone, and Togo would make their presentations on the subject.
Aim/Vision of Association of World Election Bodies :
- A-WEB was founded with the shared vision among its members of achieving sustainable democracy around the world.
- A-WEB aims at strengthening the processes of election management in member countries.
- Since, its inception A-WEB has undertaken election ICT Programmes in various countries like Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Fiji, Papua Guinea, and Samoa.
- It undertakes Election Visitor and Observation Programmes in various countries to study various election management practices and share knowledge with other Member of EMBs.
- The A-WEB Secretariat also undertakes Election Management Capacity Building Programme for the officials from Member EMBs.
Note: Since 2014, it has conducted more than 89 programmes for over 645 participants from over 70 countries.