HelpAge IndiaApprox Read Time: 2 min
- NGO HelpAge India has received the 2020 UN Population Award for its work regarding the welfare of elderly people.
- The ceremony to give the ‘UN Population Award 2020’ was virtually held in the UN’s New York Office.
- The awardees were:
- Individual category: Bhutan’s Queen Mother Gyalyum Sangay Choden Wangchuck for her work on sexual health and ending gender violence and for founding a volunteer organization called ‘Respect, Educate, Nurture and Empower Women’ (RENEW).
- Institutional Category: HelpAge India, an NGO working for the elderly.
About: HelpAge India
- HelpAge India is a leading charity established in 1978 in India working with, and for, disadvantaged elderly for nearly 4 decades.
- HelpAge serving the needs of the elderly holistically and enabling them to live active, dignified and healthier lives.
- It advocates for elderly needs such as for universal pension, quality healthcare, action against elder abuse etc.
- Working in 20 States across India, the organization also provides employment opportunities to older people, advocates for their rights in the community and helps local organizations to support them.
About: UN Population Award
- The UN Population award recognizes the contributions in the fields of population control and reproductive health globally and is presented in both individual and institutional category.
- Established: It was established in 1981 by the UN General Assembly and first presented in 1983.
- First recipients: Indira Gandhi (India) and Qian Xinzhong (China), China’s then population planning chief were awarded the prize for the measures implemented by them for population control.
- Indians who have earlier received the award:
- Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in 1983
- Industrialist-philanthropist J.R.D. Tata in 1992
- Committee for the award: The Committee for the United Nations Population Award is comprised of 10 UN Member States, elected by the Economic and Social Council for a term of three years. The United Nations Secretary-General and UNFPA Executive Director serve as its ex-officio members.
- UNFPA serves as its secretariat.
- The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), earlier called the United Nations Fund for Population Activities (UNFPA) began its operations in 1969.
- It is a UN agency aimed at improving reproductive and maternal health.